Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"This London" by Patrick Hicks

Poet Patrick Hicks, who teaches creative writing at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, knows about the importance of place. He has an entire book of poems about place, and the place is London. This London is a collection of 47 poems, almost all about London (the handful that aren’t directly about the city are inspired by London). Hicks loves the city, but it’s not a heedless, careless kind of love. It’s a love that sees all of what the city is, what it has been, and where it might be going.

To read the rest of my review, please visit The Master’s Artist.

2 comments:

S. Etole said...

Always enjoy your reviews.

Laura said...

I really need to read more poetry in 2012.

I wanted to let you know that today we started a new women's Bible study at church and my pastor (Mrs. Pastor--she and her husband are co-pastors of our church) told me she had order The Dancing Priest. I was thrilled. She reads my blog occasionally and had caught that little reflection I posted, I guess. I can't wait to hear what she thinks!