Tuesday, July 21, 2015

How to Write a Poetry Review

Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

We had considerable conversation, and a little controversy, around my post two weeks ago, “The 6 Most Overused Words in Poetry Reviews.” I didn’t realize just how hot a topic poetry reviews happens to be.

A common question arose: “OK, so you have six overused words in poetry reviews and three more than are contenders for the list of most overused. Just how do you go about writing a poetry review?”

I consider poetry and book reviews highly subjective endeavors. It is someone’s opinion, after all, of someone else’s creative work. There’s no textbook approach I could cite that would meet all conditions and situations.

But I can explain how I do poetry reviews myself.

And you can blame Walter Lippmann (1889 – 1974).


To continue reading, please see my post today at Tweetspeak Poetry.

No comments: