Sunday, July 26, 2015

I keep the laws


After Acts 6:8 – 7:60

I keep the laws
I wash, when I should,
I fast, when I should,
read and listen when I should

he serves the widows at table

I live near, the sacredness
of this place spills over my home
I tithe what I should

He serves the people with love

And you, Stephen, hand me
Scripture and history and
innocence and spirit and
wisdom and the face
of an angel

he serves his Lord in what
he says

I give you stones, cast
I give you stones, thrown
I give you stones, hurled

he serves his Lord in what
he does

stones, Stephen,
stones

he is served stones


Painting of the stoning of St. Stephen by Rembrandt van Rijn, oil on canvas, 1625; Musee des Beaux-Arts de Lyon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Glynn, and how often can I hurl stones w/ my words from a stony heart?? Very convicting poem. Thank you.