Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Writing Who You Are


The spoken word has much to do with how I write fiction.

My professional career in corporate communications spanned some 40 years. For most of that time, I was either a corporate speechwriter or not very far away from speechwriting. Even when I was serving as a spokesman for a crisis (a plant explosion, a train derailment, government actions upending a product and its market, to mention a few), I would usually have an executive speech assignment waiting on my desk.


It’s perhaps the toughest job in corporate communications (or any other kind of communications). You’re writing for another person. To do your job well, you have to write like that person speaks. That means you have to listen more than you talk. You must understand what’s on the audience’s mind. And you’re constantly moving across communication media – from the words you’re writing to the words an executive is speaking to the words the audience is hearing.

To continue reading, please see my post at Christian Poets and Writers

2 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

This is a wonderful article, Glynn. I try to sign up for the Christian Poets page, but seems I'll have to review my password to get in.
Thanks for reminding us here that a crucial part of being a writer is learning how to listen.
Blessings!

Glynn said...

Martha - thanks so much!